Friday, May 7, 2010

Absolute rubbish!

An oldie, but a goodie!

Alright I’ve been absolute rubbish (or rubbage, as Franca would say. Her creative interpretation of the English [and British English] language never fails to amuse me) at updating this bad boy. Mostly it’s because I’ve had a week of being rather dull and lazy.

I feel like I haven’t stopped since I got here: job hunting, flat hunting, attempting not to murder the various incompetent customer service employees I’m forced to interact with on a daily basis. Plus I have to fit in at least 5 days of drinking every week – it’s a lot for a girl to take on! Plus I was in Sussex, Rome and Essex this weekend so I decided to be a total and absolute sloth last weekend and boy, was it ever wonderful.

Every time the sun comes out, the Brits take a bank holiday, so we had a long weekend this weekend which was quite glorious. Pretty sure a four day work week is standard here and it’s just one more thing I like about the European lifestyle – no one works and everyone is drunk constantly. Stop the presses - I've found heaven!

Friday I went out for work drinks which was alright but I have to say, the Yahoo crew over here isn’t nearly as fun the one back home. Everyone here is older and they’re in ‘long-term relationships' and talk about their gardens and weight watchers points and babies – all things that make me want to impale myself with my yahoo branded pen.

Anyway sometimes they venture across the street to this nasty ass pub called the Marquis de Granby for a pint. Literally, they work in Covent Garden – one of the most bustling, bar-heavy areas in the whole world and they choose to go to this grubby hole in the wall to get soused. I don’t understand it but I do drink their free beer so I guess I should stop complaining.

Then I met up with Franca for drinks and dinner to celebrate her new job at the BBC (I won’t get into how she got offered a job after one interview and I went for months before an employer would even send me a rejection email). Anyway, repress the rage and be happy! But no really, she wasn’t happy at her last job so I’m glad she found something new and so quickly! We had some Italian for dinner (a throw back to Rome) and then headed to our haunt, The New Rose, on Essex Road. We stayed for a pint and then left for our beds and a sweet lie in the next day.

Saturday we cleaned the whole shoebox and then I downloaded a bunch of old Disney movies I’ve had a hankering to watch lately (Aladdin, The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast). Managed to watch all of those over the weekend and man, does Disney know what is up when it comes to family entertainment! Still get a little teary eyed during that Mufasa scene (damn you, Scar! You two timing son of a jackal!) Saturday night we went out for tapas and then hit up a bunch of pubs, met a giant group of football players and headed home relatively early for more sleep.

Sunday I continued to veg and then went out for great Italian food with Ryan and Jenny. Hit up a pub up the street and downed martinis all night (they were pricey and a piece of boozy heaven!) Monday was more relaxing and then surprise, surprise – out for more drinks!

So yah, pretty exciting, eh? This is what you get when you demand a blog post – lots of mundane shit about a totally normal existence. You think my life is glitzy and glamorous ALL the time? Come on, I can’t be expected to be on every day of my life! Sometimes I sit around and eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in my sweatpants and watch old episodes of Dr. Phil. Deal with it.

This weekend I am off to Essex to stay with family friends of Franca’s that we met up in Sussex (I’m getting around this country!). We are going to eat and drink and revive our Franks and Sense routine (apparently Millie has been counting down the days til out sleepover since we last saw them. ‘Three more sleeps!’ – just disgustingly adorable! Who knew a child could love a person with a heart as black and a liver as damaged as mine?

So Monday I will have a full report with exciting things (like eating and drinking, which I clearly never discussed in this post). I leave for India next Monday (a little late on applying for the Visa and apparently I need some inoculations before I go so I am coming to realize I am disastrously unprepared for this journey). So there will be more posts where I wear sweatpants in different places and eat different variations on the peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

Stay tuned friends and have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Patsy

No comments:

Post a Comment