Thursday, April 22, 2010

When in Rome...



Don Draper: the new Julius Caesar.
So friends I know you've just been losing sleep over whether Patsy will get to take that plane ride to Rome this week.

Well you'll sleep soundly tonight knowing that in just 24 hours, I will be on a plane headed for the Eternal City. (Who's erupting now, Icelandic Volcano with impossible to pronounce name?)

The whole thing has actually been sort of a nightmare, really. Jenny and Ryan were stuck in South Africa until this morning because of that god forsaken volcano. They had to cancel their plane tickets and accommodations and Franca and I were going to follow suit. However, the discount (read: cheap ass) company we booked our tickets through were having none of it (in fact, when I called the phone centre I was greeted with with a rather rude automated message in German and was then abruptly hung up on. Damn Germans!)

Anyway we found out we either had to go or we would lose our money (£300, not an insignificant sum), so we said, 'hey, what the hell? When are we going to go to Rome again?' And isn't that the reason I came here? To get drunk in various European capitals? Or rather, to immerse myself in the culture, customs and rich history of ancient people?

Yah, no definitely the first one.

So Franca and I have booked a hotel and we leave tomorrow at 3 pm. I'm taking a half day tomorrow and taking Monday off and I'm honestly so pumped to go. I haven't been outside of London yet (been to Paris and Amsterdam a decade ago) but I'm really excited for Italy. In my heart, I think I would fall in love with Tuscany and have had an obsession with visiting since I was little (a love which was reignited when my Dad and Pam spent two weeks there on their honeymoon). Anyway, Rome is great and I am pleased I will finally be visiting this infamous, classical city.

Actually, this is pretty lame so let me preface this next sentence by saying I am completely aware of what a big giant loser I am. But I am actually really excited to go to Rome because of Mad Men.

Smokin' hot would be an understatement.

In Season 3, Don Draper and his minx of a wife Betty go to Rome on a business trip for Hilton Hotels. Anyway the cinematography was beautiful (as always) and there was something about this Ken and Barbie couple in this cosmopolitan setting that made my heart flutter. Also, Betty looked like a stone cold fox and gets hit on by every warm blooded Roman male that crosses her path (I've been told they do this to all women - I was also instructed to wear a ring on my wedding finger, but homie don't play that. I think I can handle some excitable European playboys. Let's see how it goes).

The best part of the episode is this scene where Betty is sitting alone outside a cafe, smoking and looking like a bombshell. European men begin to swoon, ogle and hit on her. Then Don comes up to the cafe, but sits away from her and observes her, pretending they don't know each other. Then he takes a seat next to her to shoo away those pesky Roman horndogs and they begin to converse like newly acquainted strangers.

The whole situation was just a beautiful international love affair dripping with 1960s modernism. Anyway, that's not to say I'm sitting at my desk in Betty's beehive hair-do, waiting for my Roman Don Draper to sweep me off my feet, but I'm just saying if something LIKE THAT were to happen while I was on holiday, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Alright friends, I hope you have a fantastic weekend. Supposed to be a beauty in London (unfortunately the weather in Rome isn't supposed to be so great, but let's hope those weather men have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Oh, wait...)

Cheers,

Patsy

No comments:

Post a Comment